The Giving Tree

This year, the Stewardship committee has been working hard to present a new theme each month representing God’s Creation. We have had live animals in our church, a local meteorologist talking about climate change, gardening, and more.

This month the focus is on our Giving Tree. The Giving Tree has ties to The Giving Tree┬áby Shel Silverstein (click on the title to read the poem). Silverstein’s poem/story focuses on the relationship between a boy and a tree throughout both of their lives. As they progress throughout life, they have different needs. The boy needs help, the tree is able to give him that help all the way to the end. In return, the tree is feeling fulfilled from helping this boy.

Giving Tree

Our congregation and community is filled with individuals and groups that need help. The Stewardship committee is hoping that you can help the tree by acting on its behalf; reaching out to others who need help and making new connections.

It takes a village to raise a child. It is a lifelong commitment. How can we help each other honor that commitment? One small act can mean the world to a person in need.

Advertisements

The Church with the White Picket Fence

The community of Sun Prairie is changing rapidly as more people move to the Madison suburb. But if one were to drive north on County Road N, the scenery changes drastically from the rest of the town.

A sixty-second drive north of town on N will bring you to a quaint but stoic looking church. That is Bristol Lutheran. It’s the one with the white picket fence, the church cemetery, and the beautiful tall white steeple.

209_Copy_of_ChurchFrontMedium

Our congregation is 110 years old (organized in 1907) and we have occupied this building since 16 June 1908, when it was purchased from the Methodist Episcopal Church of Bristol for $1,200.

The building was built by the Methodist Episcopal Church of Bristol in 1866 for $3,700. It was completed a year after the American Civil War had ended.

The original building was flush on the front and was rectangular in shape. The building also had a steeple which, according to The Countryman and The History of Bristol Lutheran Church, caused the Methodist congregation some trouble:

“That article indicated that the steeple had persistent leaks. It swayed whenever

the bell was run or a strong wind blew. Woodpeckers bored holes in the shingles.”

After being struck by lightning in 1898, the church gained a remodeled steeple.

The group of Lutherans were looking for a Lutheran church that was not far from their farmsteads, so they created their congregation and needed a building to purchase so they could meet in a secure and local spot.

Fortunately, the Lutherans were able to purchase this country church and the building became the home for the First Lutheran Church of Bristol.

Over time, additions have been added to the church, such as a new bell tower with steeple, a narthex, balcony, and portico in 1971, and an expansion of seating, pastor’s office, church office, entrance, kitchen, fellowship area, classrooms, and conference room in 1992.

The building’s history resemble one of the characteristics of our congregation: maintaining the original while adding new ideas and opportunities to what once was.